Do you own or operate a business? Here is some advice for saving energy at work.
Here at Jim’s Test & Tag, we help businesses all around New Zealand. Through our electrical testing and tagging services, we assist in maintaining safe workplaces across the nation. Testing and tagging is not only useful for safety reasons. It is also beneficial for energy efficiency. Through regular maintenance, you can eliminate faulty appliances that could be chewing through your electricity supply. If an appliance is working harder than it should be, it is not only dangerous, but potentially quite inefficient. Regular testing and tagging will help with saving energy at work, but it isn’t the only step you can take. Check out our energy saving tips for employees and let us know if you have any questions.
Ways to Save Energy in the Office
Here are some simple ways you can reduce energy consumption in an office environment:
- Turn off the lights when you’re not in the room – this seems obvious, but so many people leave the lights on. Make sure you remind your employees. There are also many lighting systems that have energy saving settings for large office buildings.
- Switch to LED bulbs.
- Make sure all of your office equipment is set to energy saving mode so it ‘sleeps’ when it is not being used.
- Check the energy star rating on your equipment. It might be worth the upgrade to save more energy in the long run.
- Have a meeting with staff about energy efficiency and brainstorm ways you can improve your consumption. This will make saving energy at work a lot easier as it will be in the forefront of people’s minds. An active approach is key.
General Energy Saving Tips for the Workplace
Not based in an office? Here are some other ways you might save electricity at work:
- Turning all appliances off at the power point.
- Investigating which energy companies are providing ‘green energy’.
- Clean out your ventilation systems regularly.
- Adjust thermostat to set temperature (allow for seasonal changes) and make sure staff members aren’t continuously adjusting the temperature. Consider portable fans and heaters (but make sure they are regularly tested and tagged).
Why is saving energy at work important?
Coming up with energy saving strategies will benefit your workplace in a number of ways. Firstly, when you use less electricity, you pay less for your electricity bills. Secondly, reducing your energy consumption is better for the environment. If your organisation values sustainability, it is a great idea to implement these small, easy changes before you move onto bigger energy efficiency goals.
Contact Jim’s Test & Tag Today
Are you interested in our testing and tagging services? Please get in touch now. We take care of all your compulsory electrical safety testing requirements and help to keep your workplace safe. Let one of our technicians come to your office and identify any faulty appliances that might be in use. As an organisation, you are obligated to invest in safety testing services. It is a part of your duty of care. If someone is injured due to negligence, the organisation will be at fault. Make sure your business is compliant with local legislation and covered in the case of an incident.
Call now or fill in the online form for a free quote.